ANGOLA — Beginning Oct. 15, CANI — Community Action of Northeast Indiana — will be accepting calls to schedule appointments for energy assistance for all of its offices in Allen, DeKalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben and Whitley counties.
The Steuben County office is in the Education Resource Center along with the Steuben County Literacy Coalition at 1208 S. Wayne St., Angola.
The Energy Assistance Program helps pay a portion of a household’s heating bills during the winter months. Last year, CANI helped around 9,500 families with their utility bills. Households include both renters and homeowners. They are eligible for this benefit one time a heating season.
The program runs Nov. 4 through May 15, 2014. Applicants must meet income levels:
• One-person household — No more than $17,235 annually.
• Two-person household — No more than $23,265 annually.
• Three-person household — No more than $29,295 annually.
• Four-person household — No more than $35,325 annually.
• Add $6,030 for each additional family member.
At all locations, the following must be brought to the appointment and is mandatory to complete an application:
• Documentation of all household gross income (payroll check stubs, letter from employer, award letters, unemployment income, veterans benefits; TANF; Social Security; pensions, etc.) for the past 12 months for everyone in the household 18 years of age and older.
• Current heating and light bills at current residence.
• A Social Security Number is required for all persons in the household over the age of 1. It can be in the form of the social security card, pay stub containing name and full social security number, social security award letter with full social security number, or a federal form with full social security number on it.
• Rental lease or a completed landlord affidavit for all renters.
· Anyone 18 or over must submit a Wage History Statement from WorkOne and a completed Zero-Income Verification Form. A current school schedule must be provided for full-time students.
To make an appointment, call CANI at (800) 589-2264; press “1” for Family Support. An online application can be found at canihelp.org.