AUBURN — An unattended candle caused a fire in a duplex Monday evening, said Auburn Fire Chief Michael VanZile.

All occupants escaped safely without injury from the house at 604 E. 9th St., VanZile said.

The Auburn Fire Department was called at 6:34 p.m. with a report of smoke coming from the home. Firefighters arrived at 6:38 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the front door of the house. They entered the home, discovered a fire in the living room and quickly extinguished it. Fire had extended into the ceiling and a portion of the roof.

Firefighters declared the fire to be under control at 6:52 p.m. They returned to their stations at 8:38 p.m.

The Garrett Fire Department, Parkview DeKalb EMS, and Auburn Police assisted at the scene.

The Butler Fire Department stood watch at Auburn Fire Station 1.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.