AUBURN — Smoke from an elevator fan brought Auburn firefighters to the Baymont Inn, 306 Touring Drive, Wednesday at 8:52 p.m., Fire Chief Michael VanZile said.

Firefighters were called with a report of an elevator fire on the third floor of the hotel. Upon arriving, firefighters discovered smoke on the third floor with no fire visible.

Investigating further, firefighters discovered that a vent fan on the top of the elevator had overheated and caught fire. They extinguished the fire, brining the situation under control at 9:08 p.m., and used fans to ventilate the smoke from the third floor.

Five rooms on the third floor were occupied, and two rooms on the second floor were occupied.

All visitors evacuated the hotel safely, and there were no injuries, VanZile said.

Firefighters returned to their station at 10 p.m.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.